Hello everyone and Jane who wrote:

>  I've never been taught Binche but I've made a few small pieces from
working diagrams and their construction makes absolutely no sense
whatsoever.

Exactly what I thought when I decided 'how hard can it be' and made a small
piece from its diagram. I am mostly self-taught from books, following a
diagram was easy enough. And then I was able to see up close an old example
of Binche; I marvelled at the mind and hands that created it. Fine, tightly
woven threads seemingly went everywhere, but here, too, was a pattern
repeat! Was there ever a diagram? Probably not. I got an idea, what if the
lacemaker didn't read; they weren't illiterate, they were skilled in other
ways. If they were unhampered by having to look at a page from left to
right, and by extension anything else -  could they see in all directions
at once? Maybe they learned their craft by watching someone else, as one
might when learning dance steps?

I still reflect on that, with no conclusion, but getting back to making
lace in the present, I like the new floral designs by Fumi Kanai and her
students, and all I do is follow the lace's diagram using lots of movable
sticky arrows to help keep track. Find the topmost element that needs doing
first and move on from there. It is usual for several sections across the
design to need attention before advancing. The direction of work is in a
general downward manner even though it seems like one is jumping all over
the place. Weaver pairs become passives and vice versa as required to fill
in a given space.

IMO working a Binche lace is puzzle-solving at its finest, whether
designing or dependent on the diagram.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada