Hi Sharon,

I don't think we need more labels. We have "antique" (more than 100 years
old, which includes Art Nouveau designs of the fin de siecle), "vintage"
(50 to 100 yrs), and "modern" (younger than 50). "Modern" is also used for
a particular time period in art and design that includes both Art Nouveau
and the period from which we get vintage items:  " Modern art includes
artistic work produced during the period extending roughly from the 1860s
to the 1970s, and denotes the styles and philosophy of the art produced
during that era. The term is usually associated with art in which the
traditions of the past have been thrown aside in a spirit of
experimentation." [Wikipedia] What you are calling "modern" is actually
"contemporary" (generally meant to be the work of living artists).  Art
Nouveau as a period already corresponds to a specific time (approx. 1890 to
WWI), or a subsequent design style regardless of age. Both are useful and,
I believe, sufficient.

As for the age of a particular design or piece of lace, if we can't say a
specific date (such as with a painting), we use centuries, usually narrowed
down to half or quarter centuries. I think that, and the use of particular
style terms such as Art Nouveau, is more precise than introducing new
terminology for which one would have to know approximate dates anyway.

Just my opinion of course. And by the way, Art Nouveau is my favorite
design style personally. I have a Carrickmacross collar that is pure Art
Nouveau, and I wish I could find more such pieces of lace.

Nancy
Connecticut, USA