I don't think it was a west coast phenomenon. Originally there was a
group called the Federation of Doll Clubs. in the 1950s, a small
sub-group of them was interested in dressing dolls in the appropriate
style lace for the era of the doll, and they formed a lace study group
within the Doll Clubs, called the Old Lacers. Eventually it broke away
from the Federation of Doll Clubs, becoming the International Old
Lacers, and then eventually the International Organization of Lace.
The character of the group began to change when lacemakers started to
join it because there was no other group that was oriented toward
making lace.  Another connection between doll collectors and
lacemakers is that doll collectors wish to have appropriately sized
lace for doll clothes and doll furnishings. So, in some cases, they
have to make the lace so it is in scale. Yet another concern,
expressed by some, was that doll collectors were cutting up priceless
old handmade lace for the doll clothes, because only the laces from
the early 18th century were of fine enough thread to make them in
scale with dolls. At least one member of the lace community decided to
make an entire book of patterns appropriately sized for dolls and doll
houses to address this perceived threat, so that the doll collectors
could make better lace for their doll houses and wouldn't have to rely
on antiques laces.