Kim touches on another point in this discussion.  We may not have fine linen
thread because of extinction (perhaps brought on by war) of the extra-fine
cultivars, but that's not the whole story.  We also don't have them because
breeding new extra-fine cultivars isn't economically feasible.  Aside from
hobby lacemakers, there's not a huge demand; not with so many other fibers to
chose from.

(1) The cost of breeding over many generations to produce the extra-fine
fibers,

(2) the cost of growing the more fragile plants (those fibers are what keep the
plants standing upright),

(3) the cost of trying to spin and weave on mass-market machinery (where speed
trumps delicacy and fragile fibers can't take the stress), and

(4) the delicacy of the resulting fabric (can't be machine washed or machine
dried or machine dry-cleaned, and even hand-washing has to be extra-careful)

all conspire to make extra-fine linen not so popular.  So if it can't be
mass-marketed and it can't get enough public adoration to sell at very, very
high price, it's just not going to bring in enough money to make it in our
economic climate.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com

Parvum leve mentes capiunt
(Little things amuse little minds)

---- Kim Davis <k...@wirelace.net> wrote:
Regarding the thread, I am also interested in this topic.  I have heard a
few theories surrounding why we don't have it anymore.  The first was that
the fields were bombed by the Germans in WWI, and the strain of plant
destroyed.  This didn't make sense to me because we stopped seeing the fine
threads very much a good century before WWI. The French Revolution makes
more sense time wise.

However, it seems hard to believe that we could not cultivate this flax if
we wanted to.  I am eager to here what your agricultural searches turn up.