It appears that the seeds from next years crop comes from this year's crop.
That being said, I cannot see a flax grower of the very fine flax not saving
some of those seeds.  Or losing all those cultivars. And while Belgium was
certainly bombed to death in places during WWI, such as Iepres, Ypres, Kortrijk
and Brugge were untouched, so the farmland around it would have been fine.
Don't know about WWII, but the very fine linen thread was gone by then.

Do we know any linen handspinners?

Lyn presently in Brussels.

"My email sends out an automatic  message. Arachne members,
please ignore it. I read your emails."