Susan,
I stared making Binche with a traditional teacher who did not believe in using
support pins.  So she showed me all the tricks to avoid the holes.  That being
said, I now use support pins all the time.  I use the very small pins.  I find
that even if I don't take them out until the very end I don't have a hole.
Once the piece is finished no one can tell it you used support pins or not!
Liz R, Raleigh, NC