I visited the Hunterdon Art Museum on Saturday to drop off some fabric
that might be used to frame a piece of art that had arrived without a
frame. There I found Seth, one of their excellent installers. He has
done installation work for the Newark Museum and now works for the
Metropolitan Museum of Art at the Breuer location. He had constructed
a small wall to create a corner in which to install Dorie Millerson's
tiny needle lace sculptures. He was busy hanging Lenka Suchanek's Are
We Made of Lace? pieces with the use of a level.
Afterward, I drove over to the Holiday Inn to check whether there
would be any problem if some exhibition goers who wanted to have a
drink and a chat after the event would be able to do it there.
Unfortunately, the answer was no. The Holiday Inn is so busy that
night with events that they were closing their restaurant because it
would be in use for the events. They handed me a list of local
restaurants several of which were sports bars. I was in despair. So,
it was determined that my husband and I would go out to Clinton to
look for another place, as well as to do a tour of parking lots in
town. Fortunately, the Clinton House Inn, a historic inn dating from
the mid 18th century and located just across the historic bridge from
the museum, within easy walking distance, seems to be a place that can
accommodate those who want to go somewhere after the Urchin lighting.
While there I noticed that there was a large banner strung across the
middle of the down town announcing the opening and the Urchin
lighting.
Previously, I had asked arachne if there were historic films that
could be used to illuminate lacemaking and had received information
about two, dating from the 1930s that were very suitable. One had the
woman who had been making lace for 40 years and seemed to do it
largely left handed and the other was about needle lacers on Burano.
Both were from Pathe. So, on Friday we tried to figure out what would
be necessary to license the films. It turned out that each film would
cost 237 English pounds to license, which the museum really could not
afford. So, instead alternatives had to be found.
Tomorrow I am supposed to give a tour to volunteers and docents so
that they know about the pieces in case they are asked. This is a new
challenge because the tour is somewhat dictated by the way the pieces
are arranged in the gallery, so I will have to segue between pieces
that are placed because of size and other considerations, not
thematically. So, today I am rereading the catalog trying to come up
with something that will sound coherent.
Devon