Thanks for all the concern.   Some people responded to the request, and
found out that they were to buy a card, take a picture of it and send it with
the pin number from the back of the card.  That's how the hacker would be
able to cash in the card.  As far as I know at this time, no one actually
fell for it.  The instructions were so weird that no one who got that far
believed it was a real request.  And the specified store does not exist in my
area.

Sorry for all the fuss.  The main thing that came out of it was that I heard
from some friends I hadn't talked to in ages.
Now, back to lace.  I'm trying to choose a new project to keep me busy for
the next few months.  Another lappet from the Herrmansberg book is
tempting.  And I'm trying to design a pattern for a small lampshade.

I've been asked to attend the next Tatting Quarterly meeting to teach a lady
bobbin lace since the tatters will be too busy to do it.  (The Portland Lace
Society tatters have formed a sub-group that meets quarterly to do advanced
tatting techniques.)  We don't want to turn down anyone who wants to learn.
Alice in Oregon