"Carrying on from the theme of beginning lace and time to practice, how much
time do members here spend on lacemaking"

I, too, would like to learn how much time the really productive lace makers
spend at their craft. Personally, I'm in my late 60's and still work 3 days
a week. That, plus family and pets occupies much of my time. I took up
bobbin lace in my early 60s so I haven't been at it for very long. I finally
had time to spend on hobbies, especially since I get tired more easily and
just need to sit down sometimes. It keeps my hands busy when I'm sitting.
Generally, I work an hour or two most evenings while watching television. If
I'm doing a special project, as I am right now, I spend several hours in the
afternoon on it. Yesterday, I think I put in 5 or 6 hours. I like to do
needle tatting, too. That is easy to do while watching TV because it doesn't
take as much concentration and tensioning as bobbin lace. I have a backlog
of project plans and books to work my way through.

As for the lady who was originally asking about lacemaking as a hobby while
her kids are small, needle tatting would be very suitable. One can complete
small projects quickly, it's easy to pack up and keep out of reach. Very
portable. Learning the basic "vocabulary" of tatting on the needle is really
helpful before graduating to the shuttle, which is more challenging but
still takes little space and is portable.

Jean Reardon, western Pennsylvania where it's bitterly cold and snowy.