This article appeared in the New York Times magazine section this week. I
posted it on the International Organization of Lace's facebook page where
it has been very popular. Jeri Ames has encouraged me to post it on arachne
as well. Here is the link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/27/magazine/rembrandt-jan-six.html
There are several interesting things in this article. One is that the
dealer Jan Six XI was immediately attracted to the lace on the painting
which is a collar style that he claims was only in fashion between
1633-1635. I am extremely impressed with his lace knowledge. Gunnel and I
actually did a bit of a survey on Friday, over Skype, trying to prove or
disprove this theory using portraits and we think he is pretty much
correct. There was an outlier in the form of a Swedish monarch, but it
might be possible that the painting is not correctly dated. Also a popular
style at the time was a thin lock of hair with a red ribbon which appears
on two of the paintings.
Another aspect of the article deals with a purported Rembrandt habit of
painting the white of the lace first, then putting on the black. At one
point I  was looking at the lace in Rembrandts very acutely for an article
I never wrote, and I think I concluded that he changed this pattern when
the style of lace changed to be less heavy. He painted for quite a long
time and lace styles changed.. Also, my theory is that, given it was a
studio situation with Rembrandt probably painting the eyes and maybe the
hands of the portraits but leaving costume details to others, I am not sure
that we can go overboard with identifying all the portraits that have lace
painted this way as being Rembrandts.
Apart from the interesting lace details, is a story full of pathos about
how members of the Six family have to become guardians of the family art
collection, leading to inter-generational conflict about framing, for
instance. They don't mention it, but I think that the Six family are also
donors to the Rijksmuseum's lace collection. These 17th century laces of
the 1630s are very hard to come by. I don't know that we have any in our
collection. However, Frieda Sorber tells me that she knows of some in
private hands and some will be loaned for Frieda's exhibit that is to take
place in Antwerp in 2020. I have been speaking nonchalantly in front of my
husband about going to this exhibit as though it was a foregone conclusion
and he hasn't vociferously resisted the premise, so hopefully I may see
them.
Devon