Good morning! I’ve got a question:

Does anybody know anything about antique wedding lace?

I have a piece of Duchesse lace that is approx. 13 inches (33 cm) square. It is
filled with flowers and other motifs that have to do with weddings and
fertility. So, I’m pretty sure it was used as part of the wedding ceremony, BUT
- gee, it seems awfully big to be a “wedding handkerchief” which is what the
label said it was. Also, the  motifs are fine Duchesse bobbin lace, but they
are joined together with a simple needle-lace background of regularly-spaced
buttonhole stitches, that is made with a thicker thread. So, a comparatively
heavy openwork net. That doesn’t say “handkerchief” to me.

This piece might actually be a handkerchief, and perhaps the size of wedding
hankies has changed over the 100+ years since my piece was made. However, I
have a niggling suspicion that it might not have originally been a hankie at
all. I have heard of chalice covers and I’m thinking it might be that, or maybe
even something else. I don’t know much about traditional European religious
ceremonies, and for all I know it might even have come from a Jewish marriage
ceremony - I have *no* idea what that ceremony uses.

The symbology is secular: roses and chrysanthemums, etc, so it could be
anything. Or it could just be a hankie and I’m overthinking this. It is the
size and the net background that is making me think twice.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Adele