Hello All! I managed to work my way thru this very clever pattern but
couldn't
upload my photo to Flickr--404 error! Hope it's not something
I did... Anyway,
I wanted to share some info in case anyone else is
going to give it a try. I
had difficulty with the berries & think I
may have identified the issue.
Experts, please correct me if I'm
wrong! Berry 1--after hanging in the red
pair on a temporary pin, the
red pair must enter from the right/work to the
left to set the
first/top/ringed pin in order to work the pattern as drawn,
working to
the right for the 2nd pin. Do-able but it was fiddly so I would
redraw
the berry to match the instructions. Berry 2--the red pair should
enter
from the right to set the first/top/ringed pin in order to work
to the right
to the 2nd pin. Berry 3--the red pair enters from the
left as indicated in the
instructions. I also used regular Iris silk
pins & that proved to be
problematic when tying off threads to be
re-used in other sections. When I
make this again, I will try the
small Duchesse pins, although I'd prefer a
thicker, more robust pin.
The Madeira thread is quite strong & forgiving. That
turned out to be
good & bad! It held up to lots of snugging & didn't shred, a
bonus in
my book. In fishing-speak, however, I found it easy to get a backlash
when the thread did not reel off the bobbin in an even manner. It also
is a
big springy so the leaves & berries are slightly curved inside
the ring. If
anyone has a suggestion on how to cure that, I'm
listening! Has anyone worked
this pattern with regular thread??
Otherwise, I love the ornament & was
surprised at how easy it was once
I got going. I will post a pic whenever
Flickr is up & running again.
I also enlarged the berry portions of the
pattern if anyone wants to
take a closer look at my thread path conundrum.
Hope everyone is
making something fun. I'm looking forward to seeing some of
you in
person next week in Ithaca. Sincerely, Susan Hottle Florida, USA