I know that is the sort of question many of you would probably think to ask
me, but I have no idea.

People like Compton and Haskins worked hard and long to create what in fact
are artistic masterpieces. (not mention on primitive lathes.)

Then they had to sell them to less than well-paid lacemakers or perhaps get
a bit more for them at a fair.

Springett gave us massed produced bobbin catalogues but I have not found
anywhere that told me how much the good "listed" makers charged for their
bobbins.

They had to make living after all.

I just find it hard to understand that an ordinary lace maker could afford
to buy a say: a three-tier mother and babe made from bone.

I suspect that my reading is different to many who read about lace.  Have
any of you bumped into this figure or who can offer a clue?

My most recent question was When did pewter start being used in bobbin
decoration?  Answer. I do not know, but I have drafted a longwinded
discussion article about it.  Coming soon to WebDocs.

Thanks.

I am thinking of adopting the motto "There is ssooooo much we don't know!"

  _____

.

Try a free scan!