Many thanks to Jo for that fantastic picture of a lacemaker seated behind a
huge bolster as in the picture from the Codex. Many thanks also to Deborah
for the suggestion that it is a banana leaf pillow from Brazil, based on
Portuguese lace pillows. I have been looking for other examples on the
internet and while there are some large bolsters, this one in Jo's photo is
the largest. I wonder if Deborah has any other information about the banana
leaf pillows of Brazil or photos of other examples. This is very
interesting.
Devon