Thank you to Susan and Adele for their input.

I had a look at what is available on line from the Lacemaker’s Pattern
book. They are point ground designs as is the piece of Tonder lace. I think
the thing that distinguishes the Tonder lace that I posted is its spindly
design, especially stems hanging in mid-air.

I am posting another piece of Tonder lace which I would consider to me more
the norm. But, what is it that makes it recognizable as a Tonder lace? My
somewhat untutored concept is that it is big holes that scream Tonder.
Recalling my instruction by Gunvor Jorgensen she had me do something called
a Copenhagen hole. It was great fun and seemed to involve a lot of twists.
I have always had difficulty relating it to a diagram because it was more
of a muscle memory thing where you were working pairs in cross twist twist
one after another in the inside of the hole. Maybe I was even doing it
wrong. Looking at this example of Tonder there are big holes, but they are
not formed the way I thought they were supposed to be. In fact, there seem
to be linen stitches on the inside of the hole. Sometimes, I even see big
holes that are really lined with single honeycomb stitches. I realize that
in making a big hole, you really have to find something to do with a lot of
pairs that would otherwise be in the point ground, so there might be
different ways of handling that issue. But, can anyone tell me if I am
correct that the big holes are sort of an aesthetic preference for the
makers of Tonder lace that other makers of point ground did not use as
much? Is there a particular time frame associated with them? Do they have
any specific structural requirements?

Photos posted at
https://laceioli.ning.com/group/identification-history?xg_source=activity

Devon