I’m just thinking about the lacemakers. I’ve read so much about how in the 19th
century, as handmade lace competed with machine-made, lacemakers were poorer
women, right down to very young girls, who made lace for a pittance, and they
supplied their own pillow and bobbins. I would not be surprised if many a young
man whittled bobbins for his sisters and his girlfriend or wife, or even
himself. I would not be surprised if they got to be pretty good at it; you
never see boys whittle these days, but a hundred years ago it was just
something you did to pass the time.

I recently saw an episode of “Escape to the Country” where they profiled a man
(in England) who turns authentic medieval wooden bowls with a (replica)
medieval foot-powered lathe. I have seen bobbins from the 1600s that I would
think were turned on a lathe, and I’ve also seen bobbins from Europe that were
probably post-WW1, that were hand-carved.

As to Downton bobbins in particular, I don’t know.

Just my musings, but I hope they help.

Adele