Update on the thread -

Interesting - the slips are not as I expected. I thought the entire parcel
would be one long length of thread, with all the slips joined to one another,
but - no. Each slip is fastened off, separate from the others, so you can just
extract one slip at a time from the system.

I unpicked the one remaining pink thread, and the red thread, took out one
slip, and tied everything back up again. I happen to have some sherry glasses
that have a stem about ¾ inch (2 cm) wide, and I got one of those and reeled
the thread from the slip onto it. The 90 yards took me about 90 minutes, but
it wasn’t difficult; the thread had some extra twists and tended to wind
back on itself, but those tangles undid themselves mostly without any problem.
There are 3 places where I got a small knot I couldn’t get out, but that’s
not bad for 90 yards.

The thread seems quite strong and in good condition; I thought I might have
breakage, but I didn’t. I broke a piece off; it didn’t seem any easier to
break than new thread. I hope that bodes well for when I’m making lace with
it.