Brian - there was an article in a recent copy of Lace regarding glass bobbins.
I also wrote an article in response and sent in a couple of photos.

I have no idea whether glass bobbins were made in ‘olden times’, but I
would have thought they might have been a bit fragile for the everyday use by
lacemakers who were doing it for a living.

The ones that I have are made of Pyrex type glass and are quite sturdy as long
as you don’t throw the pillow down on to a stone floor, or lean on it while
the bobbins are on the pillow in the bag.

Malvary
Sent from my iPad