Dear Spiders
I have chosen 3 pictures by Vermeer to talk about to my U3A Art appreciation
group. One of course is 'The Lacemaker' which I went to see when it was in
Cambridge, UK.
Vermeer 1632 - 1675, lived and worked in the Flanders area. There was no
Belgium when he was alive, so Bruges, Antwerp and Delft (where he was born)
were all in the same region.
Another famous Vermeer picture I have chosen is 'Maidservant pouring milk'. I
was delighted to discover that in the bottom right hand corner of this picture
is something I think a lacemaker would use.
Do you think it is a foot warmer? Cinders from the fire would be placed in the
red pot that would be placed in the wooden box with holes in the top. The
Lacemaker would sit with it on the floor under her skirt.
Rosemarie Peel
Nuneaton,UK

-