Ruud Baars wrote:
> Suppose there is a slow/expensive rule, that almost never matches to warn
> about some low-priority issue; maybe it is worth switching it off then.

That looks like a good idea to me. We could turn off some rules by
default that are very unlikely to return an important true positive.

Viewing things from the German point of view, we could probably default
many of the capitalization rules to off. My experience as a teacher
indicates that hardly anyone has problems with the general rule that
nouns have to be uppercased in German. There are many, many difficult
cases, but I wouldn't expect (e.g.) the rule that detects "ich mache mir
sorgen" as an error to have a high number of matches.

Maybe we could run a test on Wikipedia data and disable those rules by
default that have virtually no true positives. We could offer something
like a "fast" mode and a "thorough" mode in the GUI. – Something that
strikes me as counter-intuitive in that approach, however, is that the
"fast" mode would overlook the most obvious errors if we take that route.

Just brainstorming, never mind: As a general approach, maybe we could
ask the users for some kind of self-assessment when they start the
application for the first time, like this:

Are you
- a very bad speller,
- a bad speller,
- a good speller, etc.

For the good spellers, we would do the whole thing, and I think they
will accept some delay.

--Jan