Now, having played around with the rules, it is quite clear now that I need
to use pos tagging to make life easy. How do I implement it? I looked at
the English language files - but there are so many docs in its resource
folder, I'm not sure where to start.

I have for example a tagged word list of 14,000 words that look like this:

அஃதாவது QO

அஃது NN

அஃறிணை NN

அக்கக்காக RB