tc doesn't limit the traffic, it is the kernel who does it.

The limitation of the traffic is based on some queue theories. Packets are
enqueued in a way, and then dequeued and sent to the netwok interface.

The fact that the throughput is sometime very high can be explained how
the queues manage the bursts of datas. We could say it is a feature, not a
bug. But if you don't want it, it is a parameter of the queue, that you
can change with tc (hehehe, here is the question!) with a parameter like
"burst" (it depends of the type of queue).

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Akarapu Mahesh wrote:

> HI,
> I am new to tc. I have a few basic doubts about the working of tc.I am
> trying to limit the bandwidth between two linux machines to 12Mbps. I am
> using the route filter to achieve this. I tested with ttcp traffic between
> these machines. I used tcpdump cature the data during this transfer and
> observed this using tcptrace. I find that the throuhgput was much higher
> than 12Mbp sometimes during the transfer. But the avg throughput for the
> whole transfer was 12Mbps. NOw my doubt is how tc is going to limit the
> bandwidth?? Please let me know how exactly tc limits the bandwidth.
>
> thanks
> mahesh

      __o
    _ \<_