Stef Coene wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 August 2002 01:07, Tobias Geiger wrote:
>
>>Arindam Haldar wrote:
>>
>>>hi Alex,
>>>thanx so much.. :) .. thanx to all
>>>my IMQ &  htb3 test rules are working ok.. the best part--> imq handling
>>>both  in & out traffic now.. :)
>>
>>I also had this setup, and i also thought of it as a "cool thing" :)
>>but then Patrick told me, that it's not so clever: the incoming traffic
>>must pass 2 qdiscs (interface-qdisc and imq-qdisc) and this is bad/not
>>good because
>>1) cpu - overhead (but this could be negleted) AND
>>2) these 2 qdiscs COULD drop packets and no one would know of the other
>>having dropped s.th. -> retransmit
>>ok. case 2 is not so realistic, as the qdisc on the interface normaly
>>is the qfifo but nevertheless point 1) and the possibility of 2) made me
>>think that queing double unnecessary.
>
> Basic incoming shaping can be done with the ingress qdisc and the policers.
> This is not a real qdisc with a queue, but it can throttle down incoming
> packets without creating extra delays.  It just droppes incoming packets
> untill the wanted rate is reached.
>
> Stefi have acheived restrictinng both in&out trafic using imq0.. i have
marked the packets on different ineterface, hence sending them to the
rules i want & then used **FORWARD** to imq .!.. it works pretty good,
though done in a test bed of 4 ip.. i want to scale it to our running
linux box handling about 250 ip's with 1.5mbps link..
the question now i have start thinking, after Tobias Geiger'smail is -->
what will be the cpu overhead when the linix box also runs squid in it..
  withh htb3 & imq show the same result as shown in the test ?
i hope & feel it will .. :)
A.H