On Tuesday 17 September 2002 05:31, Justin Morea wrote:
> I am rather new to all of this and I've got a few
> questions.
>
> I have an ADSL connection with 5 static IPs.
>
> Currently the DSL modem is connected directly to a
> switch, and all the computers to this switch.
>
> I would like to place a Linux box inbetween the modem
> & the switch in order to do some traffic shaping.
>
> If I understand what I've read so far, I need to place
> the 2 newtork cards in a bridged mode correct? This
> should be transparent to the users correct?
>
> In bridged mode, what are my options for shaping? Can
> I just use the normal shaping tools/commands described
> in LARTC.org? Can I user WonderShaper?
Yes you can.  However, iptables will not work on a bridge.  So you have to use
the u32 filter (there is a patch to get iptables working on a bridge).
If you shape on a bridge, you can shape on both interfaces, so you don't need
the ingress capabilities of the wondershaper.  However, you introduce an
extra NIC in the data path, so you also introduce extra (small) delays.  One
of the benefits of ingress shaping, is that it does not introduce extra
delays, but it's not so powerfull as egress shaping.
Or you can replace the switch with a linux box with some quad-NIC's.

Stef

--

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"