On Friday 11 October 2002 22:21, Mario Ohnewald wrote:
> Hello!
> I  have read the Howto (Section 9 exspecially!) a few times. It might be
> the language that
> i not get this or whatever!
>
> I want to make sure that port 14567 (upd) is in  a priority 1 band (Minimum
> Delay).
> Port 14567 is used by an Online game, a low ping is badly needed.
>
> I decided to use  Token Bucket Filter ( i hope i have chosen the right one)
>
> (...)Note that we use 'tc class add' to CREATE classes within a qdisc,
> but that we use 'tc qdisc add' to actually add qdiscs to these
> classes.(...)
>
> 1.) Do i have to create a class first ?
> example: tc qdisc add dev ppp0 root handle 1: htb default 30
>
> 2.) then i have to add qdisc to a class?
> example: tc qdisc add dev ppp0 root tbf rate 220kbit latency 50ms burst
> 1540
>
> 3.) set filter ?
> example: tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 10: prio 1 u32 match ip
> dport 22 0xffff flowid 1:1
>

> I have read the howto but i can not find my mistake!
> I hope u can help me, i am really new to this!
You first have to add a root qdisc.  There is exactly 1 root qdisc /
interface.  If you add a root qdisc that supports classes, you can add extra
classes.  You also need some filter to put the traffic from the root qdisc in
the class you want.  Each class has 1 qdisc attached to it.  This is (by
default) a prio qdisc.  But you can change it to an other qdisc if you want.
Tbf is not a good choice as qdisc because it bounds the traffic.  But this
can also be done at class level with htb (ceil parameter) or cbq (bounded
parameter).

I hope this helps.

Stef

--