On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 16:24, Arthur van Leeuwen wrote:
> On 25 Oct 2002, Vincent Jaussaud wrote:
>
> > When only one gateway is used to reach remote networks, everything is
> > working just fine. (Whatever gateway we choose to use)
> > Whenever we attempt to activate multipath routing over both gateways,
> > then SSH don't work anymore. We can ping, traceroute, telnet, ... but
> > not SSH nor FTP (PASV).
>
> ssh tends to play with TOS fields (and rightly so). Routing is keyed to the
> *triple* (src, dst, tos), something that most people (including me) normally
> forget. However, in this particular case that may be the reason for your
> ssh's breaking.

Hmm... that's really interesting. Thanks for the pointer. I remember now
that I've read something regarding SSH & TOS field some days ago. If I'm
right, it use the Minimum Delay TOS value.

Now, how am I suppose to deal with this TOS issue ? What TOS value
should do the trick ?
I'm using a 2.2 kernel with ipchains.

> The reason for FTP breaking possibly has to do with packets for
> the control connection going out the one gateway and for the data going
> out the other... but this is speculation on my part.

That sounds wise. However, routes are suppose to be cached using the src
IP field as well (If I'm not mistaken), so that every packets coming
from a particular IP are likely to take the same route than the others.
Am I wrong ?

A BIG Thanks for your reply :-)
Cheers,
Vincent.

--
Vincent Jaussaud
Kelkoo.com Security Manager

"The UNIX philosophy is to design small tools that do one thing, and do
it well."