On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Kertész Viktor wrote:

> Here you are: (i made ssh,ping,ftp traffic)
> class htb 1:101 parent 1:100 leaf 101: prio 0 rate 10Kbit ceil 30Kbit burst
> 1611b cburst 1637b
>  Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)
>  lended: 0 borrowed: 0 giants: 0
>  tokens: 1031680 ctokens: 349439
>
> class htb 1:1 root prio 0 rate 300Kbit ceil 300Kbit burst 1983b cburst 1983b
>  Sent 472615 bytes 401 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)
>  rate 5005bps 4pps
>  lended: 401 borrowed: 0 giants: 0
>  tokens: 40788 ctokens: 40788
[--cut--]

You have neither dropped or overlimit packets too. Was traffic really
limited to the specified rate?

> > For passive mode uploads, packets are coming from a private port
> > (>1024) and going to port 21.
> I see. Checked it out with tcpdump.

Small typo though: replace "private" with "public".

> > You cannot shape traffic for downloads with HTB, you'll need ingress
> > instead. I'm not 100% (but quite!) sure there (just into traffic shaping a
> > few days), so would somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here.

> You make me very disappointed. Wondershaper told me that it is possible. I
> just wanted to add a level in the class-tree. I think I have to think about
> it once more. :)

I also had a look at wondershaper.  Wondershaper uses an ingress qdisc for
inbound traffic. Where does it tell you that you can shape _incoming_
traffic with htb?

Walter