I tried installing the WonderShaper on my internal link, mostly to get the
SFQ installed. I set uplink and downlink to 100000 to match the link speed
and changed the bandwidth on the cbq line to 100mbit. This killed transfer
speed *to* the box, knocking it from 30-40 Mbps down to about 800 kbps.
Commenting out just the ingress control restored the speed.

What about the ingress policer would do that?

Here's the effective line after shell expansions:

tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 u32 match ip src \
0.0.0.0/0 police rate 100000kbit burst 10k drop flowid :1