Hi,

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am interested in policing outgoing traffic. (client--->[eth2][traffic shaper
> box][eth0]--->The Internet).
>
> What about ingress qdisc? Can i relay on it, say if it's used for 300 users? I
> tested it on myself, but i have no idea how it is going to work with 300 users.
> While testing on myself speed was shaped accuratly.

It's accuracy doesn't depend on the number of users/ips/...

> What about IMQ? As i understand it creates virtual interface through which i can
> route cerrtain adresses, but what if i have 300 of them?!

As with the ingress policer, IMQ doesn't care much about the number of
users/ip as long as you don't want to create an IMQ device for each of
these users (in fact some people are running setups with >300 imqs,
but i don't know how well its working).

If you don't need features of "advanced qdiscs" like htb but only
want to slow down i would not use imq but the ingress policer since it
saves you one extra queue.

Bye,
Patrick