It turns out that the bonding driver does indeed handle interface redundancy to two separate switches. Martin was right and the kernel documentation file (networking/bonding.txt) is packed full of useful information. The specific section that deals with what I need is under the heading "High Availability", option 2 "HA on two or more switches (or a single switch without trunking support)". It uses link status to determine that the interface is alive and uses one and only one at a given time.

bonding.txt is well worth a good read.

-Doug-

Jose Luis Domingo Lopez wrote:

On Wednesday, 22 January 2003, at 10:07:32 -0600,