Hi,
    Ive been looking at tinkering with the linux traffic control stuff
lately and decided to try out the htb qdisc.  My setup is as follows:

2 interfaces: eth0 goes to internet, and eth1 goes to a NAT'd subnet. eth0
has a 7mbit link, but only a 4.5 mbit link to the internet while eth1 is a
100 mbit link to the internal subnet.  The box that is doing the routing
(and tc soon, hopefully) acts as webserver,dhcp,firewall,NAT,and fileserver
for the internal subnet.  The internal network (at a college) has heavy
kazaa and other filesharing usage over the internet.   I want to use the
lartc utilities to make the bulk traffic from filesharing,etc to be the
lowest priority and have interactive (ssh), mail, and http be higher prios
(in that order).

Anyway, I dont want to limit the traffic that is going TO the server only,
ie. people taking files off my server, and I dont really care who is
creating the traffic, I just want priorities  on types of traffic.  That
being the case, I decided to do the shaping on the eth0 interface.  Ive
setup rules in iptables to mark the different kinds of traffic.

With that done, I created the root htb qdisc  with the following:
    $TC qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 20

However, I get an error about illegal rate when I try to create a class
with:
    $TC class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate 30kpbs burst 2k
prio 1 ceil 100kbps

I wondered if my tc version wasnt up-to date enough to work with htb, but it
was the one downloaded from the htb homepage at
http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/v3/htb3.6-020525.tgz

# ./tc -V
tc utility, iproute2-ss991023

is there anything else that might need updating, or is my syntax wrong?  any
suggestions about my setup would be welcome as well, since this is my first
attempt at this

thanks,
jay