?=
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 17:40:53 +0100

On Saturday 31 May 2003 16:35, Stef Coene wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Layer 7 filtering was a topic on slashdot !
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/05/30/180224&mode=thread&tid=106&tid=
>185
>
> After reading some slashdot comments, I downloaded the source.  And I have
> some comments on it.  I think these comments also belongs to the faq page
> of the layer 7 filtering page.
>
> First of all, this is not a packet filter, it's a connection filter.  So
> once a connection is classified as http, all following packets beloning to
> that connection are classified as http.  I just wonder if it also works for
> ftp traffic with seperate command and data connections.

Which was exactly what i wanted, but then i opened the page and saw its only
for 2.5 kernels. I'm not about to put a 2.5 kernel in my router.

I doubt it works for protocols like FTP as it uses regular expressions to
identify the protocol much like a virus program. The data connection of FTP
might not have any identifying data...

A good way of doing that would be a plugin system, in which such plugins could
interpret the protocol.

Maybe some kind soul will backport it to 2.4 so i can test it :)