Okay. So let's say it's fred and wilma, sharing the external dns name
"external". So I would forward to fred and wilma like so:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d external -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to fred
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d external -p tcp --dport 8080 -j DNAT --to wilma

That makes sense to me. But how do the return packets get rewritten?

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s wilma -j SNAT --to external
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s fred -j SNAT --to external

...seems wrong. Or does it work just fine? (I can't test it right now,
unfortuantely....)