Patrick:

I tried that filter line, but it has incorrect syntax. But that isn't the problem. The problem is the HFSC part... The traffic is indeed UDP port 1234, and the HFSC qdisc functions for a short period of time (between 5 and 60 seconds or so, and then stops passing any traffic on the eth0 interface. You can look with ethereal, and the interface is totally silent. Even weirder, if you wait, periodically (every several minutes or so) you get another period of working. These are typically 5-10 seconds. What do I need to do to debug this? The machine is a dual Xeon, if that matters.

Patrick McHardy wrote:
Lawrence MacIntyre wrote:

Thanks, Patrick. That makes it a bit harder to manage from a remote machine. I'll have to be very careful with that. I'll try to figure out the implications of the default classification and send more email if I can't get it.

So I reordered the commands and changed them around. It looks like I am either doing something strange or I have found a bug. When I execute the following script, the UDP traffic on port 1234 continues for a few seconds and then stops. When I examine the tc data, it shows no change in the periods or amount of bytes flowing after the flow stops. I am enclosing the command and the output.

It is indeed strange. Only the qdisc drop counter is incremented, which
means the packets are still unclassified. What happens if you change
your filter to:

/usr/local/bin/tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 match udp dport 1234 0xffff flowid 1:10 (match udp instead of ip)

Are you sure the packets are sent to port 1234 ?

Regards
Patrick

-- Lawrence MacIntyre 865.574.8696 [EMAIL PROTECTED] Oak Ridge National Laboratory High Performance Information Infrastructure Technology Group _______________________________________________ LARTC mailing list / [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://mailman.ds9a.nl/mailman/listinfo/lartc HOWTO: http://lartc.org/