Jason Boxman wrote:
On Thursday 13 May 2004 13:28, Andreas Klauer wrote:

Am Thursday 13 May 2004 16:38 schrieb Andreas Klauer:

Am Thursday 13 May 2004 15:54 schrieb Andy Furniss:

I've just noticed that there is a patch on devik's site which does mpu
and overhead.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the hint.

Well, patching was a little difficult... it didn't like the debian patch and I didn't succeed in joining the two patches together because of the weird inject stuff. But anyway. It seems to work, and it looks useful, so I added it to the "Hacks" section of my Fair NAT script together with a patched binary.

Nifty.

But how do you determine what your minimum packet unit (MPU) is? How about overhead for a PPPoE connection?

If you can get a cell count from your modem you can work it out with ping. I don't know what your pppoe is.

With shaping I can max my upstream and still maintain ~ 120ms ping times, but I'd like to get it down to around ~ 70ms.

Your upstream worst case depends on your bitrate and your MTU. If it's 128k you add about 90ms, 256k 45ms for 1500b packets. What's yours?

Andy.