On Friday 07 May 2004 15:37, Michael Renzmann wrote:
> Hi.
>
> jayesh rathod wrote:
> > Is there any way by which we can shape domain name(not by IP address)
> > Eg : suppose i want to shape tarrif to a particular domain www.xyz.com
> >
>  > which has multiple ips and i am not aware of there ips
>
> You could achieve this by using different firewall marks for the
> different traffic classes, and shape upon that marks. IIRC there is an
> iptables-extension available that allows to match strings, so you could
> try to match "Host: <domain>" in order to distinguish the different
> domains. But I have no idea if this would work in real world, nor what
> performance impact that may have.
Only one problem.  Tc sees ip packets and ip packets contains ip addresses,
not hostnames.  So you can't do this.
But I suppose you want to shape http / ftp?  You can try to setup a squid
transparant proxy server and if I'm not mistaken, you can patch squid so you
can use tc to shape the squid traffic.

Stef

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]