Hello!

I have a small home network and I'd like to use traffic shaping because
every time someone uploads a file at full speed, my download speed drops
to ~10 KB/s. My connection is 768/128 DSL.

I found a script at http://www.knowplace.org/shaper/examples.html

$TC qdisc add dev $INTERFACE root handle 1: htb default 60
$TC class add dev $INTERFACE parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 116kbit
$TC class add dev $INTERFACE parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate 32kbit
ceil 116kbit prio 0
$TC class add dev $INTERFACE parent 1:1 classid 1:20 htb rate 22kbit
ceil 116kbit prio 1
$TC class add dev $INTERFACE parent 1:1 classid 1:30 htb rate 22kbit
ceil 116kbit prio 2
$TC class add dev $INTERFACE parent 1:1 classid 1:40 htb rate 20kbit
ceil 116kbit prio 3
$TC class add dev $INTERFACE parent 1:1 classid 1:50 htb rate 18kbit
ceil 116kbit prio 4
$TC class add dev $INTERFACE parent 1:1 classid 1:60 htb rate 2kbit ceil
116kbit prio 5

$TC qdisc add dev$INTERFACE parent 1:10 handle 10: sfq perturb 10
$TC qdisc add dev$INTERFACE parent 1:20 handle 20: sfq perturb 10
$TC qdisc add dev$INTERFACE parent 1:30 handle 30: sfq perturb 10
$TC qdisc add dev$INTERFACE parent 1:40 handle 40: sfq perturb 10
$TC qdisc add dev$INTERFACE parent 1:50 handle 50: sfq perturb 10
$TC qdisc add dev$INTERFACE parent 1:60 handle 60: sfq perturb 10

This works quite well as I can download a file at about 70 KB/s when
uploading a file at full speed. But http traffic is not that good. I
still want to have a good surfing speed.

I slightly modified the line where iptables classifies http packets. I
set this rule to class 1:10 (highest priority). But that doesn't change
very much.

It should be possible because I have seen such a solution under Windows
using the cFos PPPoE driver. You are able to upload and download a file
at full speed while surfing is still possible.

So do you have any ideas how to optimize the above script or do you know
a better solution? It is "only" important to me that downloading and
surfing is still possible while uploading at a good speed (should be
around 12 KB/s).

Thanks!
--
Regards,