On Wednesday 14 July 2004 05:54, Gareth Glaccum wrote:
> Hi all,
> Can someone please help with a tcng setup? I have played with tc and tcng
> in the past, and now would like to get some serious rules in place.
> However, I have a difficulty in setting them up.

I'd suggest using `tc` and using Netfilter to classify traffic.  There are
quite a few matches you just can't do with tcng.

<snip>
> And I wrote out some rules. These rules seem to be correct, as far as I can
> tell, but I stupidly forgot that this is all egress, and it cannot be done
> as easily with ingress. Can someone please help by showing me how I can
> modify these to give me control over the bandwidth in (albeit limited) as
> well as out? Also could someone explain how I can easily write flows to
> test all of the possible traffic I might be experiencing?

tcng is supposed to let you perform all kinds of simulations on your traffic,
but I have never gotten it to work.  If someone has produced useful
information, I'd love to know how.

> My aim is, that any normal ssh to any machine, whether comming from the DMZ
> to the internet, or from the LAN to the internet, should get at least 2KB/s
> low-latency traffic each, even if other machines or other connections are
> being made in the background.
> I am wondering whether my first qdisc should infact be an SFQ and then HTBs
> below it?

That is not possible.  sfq is a classless qdisc.  It cannot contain anything.
You would need to attach sfq to htb classes, instead, for instance.