On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 01:20:45PM +0530, anupam chomal wrote:
> I am trying to set up a linux box with 5 N/W cards of which one is
> 10/100/1000T and the others are 10/100T. I connected all the cards and
> turned on the machine. I wanted to force eth0 to be the 1000T cards but
> the cards get allotted eth0 to eth4 randomly. Is there some way wherein I
> can force my 1000T  card to be eth0.

You can also create an alias for the device driver.  I'm not that
well-versed in the various distribution and kernel version differences,
but this is how I do it.

If running a 2.4 kernel, edit /etc/modules.conf (or if running Debian,
edit /etc/modutils/alias, and afterward run update-modules) and add

        alias eth0 <driver name>

where <driver name> is the name of the device driver module for your
gigabit card, say, e1000.  If running 2.6, add the same line to
/etc/modprobe.d/aliases .  A reboot afterward may do the trick if you
don't have an update-modules command that will get the right aliases
going.

Hope that helps.