I ran across one called culprit
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/culprit.pl/), which does kinda what I
want. However, by the looks of things it doesnt look like its going to
be easy to maintain a database of user bandwidth usage using it. I
might see what I can do about modifying it, but I'm shocking at perl :)

Netfilter sounds like a much saner idea - how would you grab the user
a packet belongs to when you parse the logfiles?
Thanks,
Patrick