To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2004 3:17 AM
Subject: [LARTC] Shaping traffic on heavily oversubscribed links?

Hi all,

I am having some fun with traffic shaping, and have run into an interesting situation. Here is South Africa, most internet links are heavily oversubscribed, which means that in most cases the local link is _not_ the bottleneck, and shaping on the local link does not help that much...

Does anybody have some tips on shaping such links? How can you get interractive traffic if you don't know how much bandwidth to reserve for it? How can you give fair access to a link if you don't know what the link capacity is?

Are there perhaps some tools to monitor retransmissions to try and determine congestion levels, and from that adjust shaped bandwidth?

Am I perhaps missing something simple in this scenario?

Thanks!
-justin