or example, let's say you have 2000kbit of total
bandwidth for output and that you are running both and
http and an ftp server.

Now let's say that you have two users that want to connect
to your machine and that both of them can potentially use
all of your output bandwidth. One of them want to connect
to the http server and the other to the ftp one.

So you tell tc to assign http traffic to class 3 that can
use only up to half the total output bandwidth, 1000kbit,
but you don't say anything about the ftp traffic.

If both the user tries to connect at the same time they of
course use the whole output bandwidth but, since there is
one kind of traffic that isn't "regulated" (it is assigned
to class 10 that doesn't exist), there is a continuos
fight between the two of them and the speed at which they
download is very irregular.

Have I understood well?

Yes you have, that's exactly my setup, i have a 100Mbps Ethernet connection to the router which has a 20Mpbs pipe to the net,
I only want to limit certain ips from using too much outgoing pipe
> tc qdisc del dev eth0 root
> tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 10: htb default 10
> tc class add dev eth0 parent 10: classid 10:3 htb rate 1000kbit ceil=20
> 1000kbit
> tc filter add dev eth0 parent 10: protocol ip prio 3 handle 2 fw classid=
I thought that by not specifying a default rate the traffice would go unshaped
So tc is a game of all or nothing ? i mean, i can't say to tc that all traffic except the one coming from X IP doesn't get a class ?