Grace Baldonasa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After posting some emails here and googling in the net. I have now a
> little clarity where and how to start bandwidth Management.
> Hope I can still be guided though.
>
> My understanding is I will be needing these modules and linux
> utilities. I hope someone can confirm.
> 1. I need to  use iptables/ebtables for packet marking.

ebtables is applicable to bridges.  I don't think you want or need to
bridge.

I prefer to use iptables' connmark.  Read about connmark here:

http://selab.edu.ms/twiki/bin/view/Networking/MultihomedLinuxNetworking

> 2. I can use tc for packet shaping.

No.  tc tells the scheduler module what it needs to know.  It does not
do the scheduling.  Type
man tc
and start reading.  Also read

http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.html

> 3. I can use bwm_ng for bandwidth monitoring.

I can't help you with that.  The only monitors I know of are

http://rawsoft.org/

and

http://yesican.chsoft.biz/lartc/netpsec.zip

(which is for WinBlow$), so please post the URL to bwm_ng.

> 4. I need these modules in loaded into the kernel. CBQ, HTB, modules.

Modules are loaded into memory such that they can interface with the
kernel.  They are NOT "in" the kernel.  If you know what a .dll is then
a module is similar.

You need any one of the shaping modules.  Make your choice after reading
man tc and lartc.qdisc.html -- but when you build your kernel you should
say "m" to everything in "QoS and/or fair queueing".  Here is a partial
list from my 2.4.29 kernel build:
CONFIG_NET_SCHED=y
CONFIG_NET_SCH_CBQ=m
CONFIG_NET_SCH_HTB=m
CONFIG_NET_SCH_CSZ=m
CONFIG_NET_SCH_HFSC=m
CONFIG_NET_SCH_PRIO=m
CONFIG_NET_SCH_RED=m
CONFIG_NET_SCH_INGRESS=m

Read the top of

http://yesican.chsoft.biz/lartc/index.html

where it talks about building kernel versions 2.4.2# for htb.  It is
outdated, but have a look at

ftp://andthatsjazz.org/pub/lartc/BUILD-2.4.25

> 5. I need to create some configuration for CBQ/HTB.

Yes, with tc or tcng.  Personally, I think tcng stinks but you may love
it; many people do.  The Wonder Shaper is an educational configuration,

cbq  http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.ultimate-tc.html#AEN2233
htb  http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.ultimate-tc.html#AEN2241

but Jim DiGriz' QoS script is famous (fabulous):

http://digriz.org.uk/

> Without these configuration or init scripts, i wont be able to use tc
> since it is  using cbq/htb?

tc is used for many things other than cbq and htb, amongst which are
hsfq, wrr and red  So the answer to that question is "no"; tc has a lot
more functions than you apparently think.

> Is there still more things I'm missing.
> Thanks for the patience. I am really new to this utilities.

The thing you are missing is the reading.  Please go do it, and don't
expect to read it just once.  I have just given you DAYS worth of
reading material.

--
gypsy