Pavan Kumar wrote:
Hi,
Sorry to bother you all. I have a typical problem sharing DSL upstream
bandwidth with users. I have 3 types of traffic high-priority,
medium-priority and low priority. My upstream rate is 960kbits. Traffic (any
priority) can vary in bandwidth from 0 to 960kbits. I have a test setup
where I can pump 600kbit of high priority sustained and I have 400kbit of
low priority traffic sustained. I expect after the 600kbit high-priority
traffic, the remaining 360kbit should be allocated to the medium and low
priority. Since I do not have medium-priority everything should go to
low-priority traffic. However, I do not see that behavior with the following
tc script I have
----------- Begin Script -------------
# delete any existing qdiscs
tc qdisc del dev ppp0 root
# setup PRIO qdisc with 3 bands
tc qdisc add dev ppp0 root handle 1: prio band 3 priomap 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
# filter traffic for high priority based on TOS field
tc filter add dev ppp0 parent 1:0 prio 1 protocol ip u32 match ip tos 0x28
0xff flowid 1:1
tc filter add dev ppp0 parent 1:0 prio 1 protocol ip u32 match ip tos 0x48
0xff flowid 1:2
tc filter add dev ppp0 parent 1:0 prio 1 protocol ip u32 match ip tos 0x58
0xff flowid 1:3
# use ebtables to set the TOS field. First flush the rules
ebtables -t broute -F
ebtables -t broute -I BROUTING 1 -j ftos --set-ftos 0x28 -p IPv4 --ip-src
192.168.1.151/32
ebtables -t broute -I BROUTING 2 -j ftos --set-ftos 0x48 -p IPv4 --ip-src
192.168.1.152/32
ebtables -t broute -I BROUTING 3 -j ftos --set-ftos 0x58 -p IPv4 --ip-src
192.168.1.153/32
----------- End Script ------------------
What I see is the high priority traffic is leaving at 600kbits as I measure
it on my test equipment. However, I do not see any low-priority or
medium-priority traffic coming out of the box. I would appreciate if you
folks can please give me a hint as to what is happening and also any
possible solutions. I need hard PRIO but the unused bandwidth should be
shared by the other traffic. I am using Linux kernel 2.6.8.1 and iproute2
(iproute2-2.6.8-ss040730.tar.gz).

You need to have prio as an htb class as it doesn't rate limit otherwise .

You'll also need to back off from your dsl rate to allow for overheads as they can be significant especially with lots of small packets.

Andy.