> Scenario:
>
> A building with 17 floors, each floor with 24 offices (totals 408
> offices) connected to the backbone through a border switch (1 vlan for
> each office). The offices can lease bandwidth of 64k, 128k, 256k,
> 512k, 1M and 2Mbps, according to their needs. We have 3 links to the
> internet, 2Mbps each. Currently, we use cisco's bbsm to handle the
> task of allocating the leased bandwidth for the vlans.
> Problem: bbsm never performed as expected. It freezes, disconnect
> users, reboots for itself leaving us in an awkward situation. After
> wasting precious time with cisco and it's product, we decided to move
> to another solution and since the boss is an enthusiast of open source
> software, we decided to go for a linux based solution.
> We found that queueing discipline may be the solution.
> The question: are we correct, I mean is qdisc+htb the right thing to
> be used in such a scenario? Has anyone out there seen a linux box
> handling so many networks?
> As I go deeper in this subject, I will come to share my thoughts and
> doubts with you guys.
>
> Hope to hear from you. Have a good one.
>

> AL

LARTC is being used in University environments with even higher bandwidth
usage, so yes, you can do it.

The multiple links may complicate things if you don't want to explicitely
assign a VLAN to a link. While balancing across the links is not that
difficult, combining the balancing with shaping to guarantee x amount of
bandwidth could be difficult.

Do you want to simply use HTB to limit rates for each office? If so, this
should work very well. You'll just need to build the routes to specify
which network goes to which internet connection. Or, you could use a
separate box for each internet connection if you break out the VLANs
earlier.

FYI, I'm using a Pentium Pro 200 to shape traffic on a 3Mb/3Mb connection
using CBQ for VoIP, Video, Citrix, and Bulk.

HTH,
-Ron