> It depends on what rate you are really synced at and what extra
> overheads/encapsulation your sdsl line has.
>
> It may be a bit different for sdsl  - I only know adsl, but as an
> example, for me, an empty ack which htb will see as 40 bytes (ignoring
> timestamps/sacks) will actually use 2 atm cells = 106 bytes on my line a
> 1500 byte ip packet will use 32 cells = 1696 bytes.
>
> Which means that if I tweaked by experementing with my rate using bulk
> traffic and arrived at some figure which seemed OK things could still go
> overlimits when the traffic consists of alot of small packets.
>
> There are patches to work things out per packet and a thesis giving
> various overheads at
>
> http://www.adsl-optimizer.dk/
>
> but for now just back off - 1800 is probably OK for netperf tests.
>
> I am talking about egress here - if you are going to shape ingress
> aswell you need to back off even more as you are trying to shape from
> the wrong end of the bottleneck (which can't be done perfectly anyway)
> to build up queues to shape with.
>
> Andy.

Thanks for all this tips, before I try all you said, I was going to test my
line at 500kbits rate/ceil just to put one variable out of the equation, and
to my surprise the shaping is working good with 500kbits, I did more tests
an dit is working good up to something between 1000 and 1200 kbits, at 1000
it is working, at 1200 the shaping is gone and the problem is back...

What I don't understand here, is the fact I can go up to 1800 or higher with
iptraf and some netperfs tests...

So I'm really lost now, what can I do ?? I can't only shape 1000 and loose
800 kbits, I really need some advice here on what can be done, I'm going mad
:)

Thanks Gael.