On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 12:37:48PM -0700, Gabriel wrote:
> 1) when used on a router for shaping traffic done by
> clients connected to it, shaping is done on the interface
> connected to the cable/dsl modem. If I wanted to create
> classes for every client on the network, I would have to
> use iptables to mark packets (using -j MARK) and not
> filters because, according to
> http://www.docum.org/docum.org/kptd/ the shaping is done
> after the SNAT, so all the clients would have the src
> address rewritten with the public IP. Am I getting this
> right?
This page:
http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2005q1/014656.html
(LARTC archive) contains a lot of useful links, one of them:
http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/br_fw_ia/PacketFlow.png

Note right bottom corner of that picture.

> 4) related to 3), I've tried to use a syntax like this: "tc
> clas add dev $ETH parent 1:0 classid 1:1 htb rate $RATE
> ceil $CEIL", where CEIL > RATE , but the  max speed I
> achieved was the RATE speed. After further reading, I found
> out that you can't (well, you can, there's no syntax error,
> but it's useless) specify CEIL for the class attached to
> the root qdisc because it doesn't have a parent to borrow
> from. So is there a way to simulate a variable bandwidth
> link or should I just set RATE to the highest possible
> value the bandwidth can reach?
http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/manual/userg.htm (6. Priorizing
bandwidth share) answers this question. Use qdisc inside qdisc.

> That's about it for now. :) Thanks
Thank you,

--