Hi,

  I am new to the Linux Advance Routing Project and to Policy Based
Routing as implemented in Linux.... but I have been using Linux for 10
years so not _really_ a newbie.... Looking at the lartc.org website I came
across the reference implementation of a traffic shaper...

  I also have Matt Marsh's book on 'Policy Based Routing using Linux'
which covers traffic shaping a bit in the later chapters.... but I am not
crystal clear on it....

  I have a linux box doing simple policy based routing for a fairly
substantial private network and routing the resulting traffic in a policy
based way to two different ISPs via T-1 (1.544 Mb/s) pipes... Sort of
arbitrary poor-boy load balancing resulting in two distinct QOSes (i.e.,
heavily loaded and lightly loaded ;)...

  I would like to also experiment with traffic shaping and would welcome
any thoughts that you might have regarding implementation in such a
setup... Basically the PBR Linux box has two NICs.... Eth0 is facing the
private network and is the default gateway for all private traffic...
while eth1 is facing a DMZ LAN where the various ISPs and other private
network services live....

  My first thought was to run wondershaper as is and set the parameters to
3 Mb up and 3 Mb down (i.e., 2 x t-1).... But then I had a flash of common
sense and decided to ask first if there might not be a better way.... ;)

  If anyone has any thoughts about traffic shaping in this environment or
on the setup in general I would love to hear them...

TIA. Any and all instruction gratefully received.

Dave Sims
Houston, Texas