On 22 Oct 2005, at 08:35, BUCHMULLER Norbert wrote:
I've never tried, but the "Network emulator" (CONFIG_NET_SCH_NETEM) from
the kernel QoS code does the very same thing (according its configure
help section).

Let us know if (and how:-) it works, please. (I'm very interested.)

I just tried it the other day. It's surprisingly easy to use and you can simulate a lot of conditions.

Documentation is lacking, but this wiki page helps a lot:

http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Netem

You may need a pretty modern kernel. I hit a crash bug in one of RedHat's customized 2.6.9 kernels. The people on the netdev list mentioned a chance since then that may have fixed it. Haven't tried it yet, but the same operation worked fine for them.

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>