On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 07:04 +0100, Andreas Klauer wrote:
> On Friday 02 December 2005 23:24, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > Yeah, that is what I want, but why do I need HTB?
>
> You need it only if you also want to limit bandwidth somehow.

But surely HTB is overkill for simply limiting bandwidth and keeping the
queue on Linux and not in the modem no?  In my followup message on this
subject, I used TBF instead.  I don't want to classify bandwidth usage,
just prevent the queing on the modem.

> I haven't looked at the code, but I think it's just a plain fifo queue,

Indeed, but if multiple users are trying to stuff packets in, it will be
more or less evenly distributed when they come out, no?  How can a
single user monopolize a FIFO given that there are other users making
equal demands of it?

> unless you attach SFQ or similar to replace it.

Which I did in my follow example BTW.

b.

Brian J. Murrell